If you’ve ever thought about living in Nelson you’re not alone! The best little city in New Zealand, has seen a marked increase in the number of people who want to enjoy the vibrancy of city centre and city fringe living. With its wonderful climate, breathtaking scenery, golden sand beaches, gastronomic delights, artisan produce and creative energy, Nelson is way more than a holiday destination.
As we head into winter, (supposedly), temperatures remain above average, and the city still has its shine on!
Here are five things to love about living in Nelson.
- The Top of Trafalgar – This bustling hotspot is home to several of Nelson’s fantastic bars and eateries. Hopgoods, Harry’s, FORDS and Cod & Lobster are all favourite haunts for locals and visitors alike. Sit outside, even in winter, for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner.
- To Market to Market – The longstanding Nelson Saturday Market is famous for the quality of its stalls, and many local businesses have begun trading here, heading on to world domination… (We’re talking about Pic’s Peanut Butter)! Monty’s Sunday Market is a mecca for treasure hunters, and you’ll find the mid-week Farmer’s Market at the Maitai Reserve.
- Life’s a Beach – Come summer or winter, living in Nelson means access to some of the most stunning beaches in New Zealand. Head to Tahunanui for paddle boarding or kite surfing. If you want to venture a little further afield Cable Bay beach is a lovely sheltered cove, with the added bonus of the Cable Bay Cafe. Family friendly, Rabbit Island is perfect for weekend jaunts.
- Art is always on your Doorstep – Nelson is known for its quirky art culture. There is always something to enjoy from spectacular statues, to the Suter Art Gallery, to the World of Wearable Art Museum. The arts even have their own season, kicking off in October each year, with the Nelson Arts Festival. The Masked parade is a sight to behold, and officially heralds the arrival of spring.
- You can be like Freddie – If, like the Queen song, Bicycle Race, you “Want to Ride Your Bicycle” then Nelson is the place to do it! Our little piece of paradise is home to a wide variety or world class mountain bike trails. If a gentle cycle is more your thing, then check out Tasman’s Great Taste Trail. It starts at the Nelson Airport or the Nelson i-SITE and offers panoramic coastal and mountain views over Tasman Bay, Waimea Estuary and the Western Ranges, with plenty of places to schedule stops for fine food and relaxation.
If you fell in love with Nelson during the summer, while visiting from Auckland, Wellington or overseas, we’re here to help your holiday romance become a match made in heaven. It’s true long distance relationships might not stand the test of time, so why not make the move permanently? Malthouselane is a premier inner city apartment complex, designed for living a perfectly balanced modern life on the central city fringe in Nelson. All of the apartments at Malthouselane offer generous, flexible floorplans, some with additional study space, and some with generously sized private gardens. So, whether you’re a professional couple looking for the affordable luxury of a lock up and leave, or a family looking for full-time fun in the best little city in New Zealand, Malthouselane can accommodate you and your loved ones.